Saturday, December 19, 2009

My Destiny


This past semester I was required to give 20 hours of service for my english class. The class was all about understanding other points of view and avoiding prejudice in writing. The topic for my paper was: Prejudice in elementary school, (understanding students with disabilities). Since teaching is my chosen carreer, I figured that this service would get me some great experience in the classroom.

One of my friends got me connected with a few classes at her school that work with groups of students on different ability levels. The thing that I learned most from my observation and my research for my final paper, is that many students that are "behind" just need a little more attention and someone who is interested in their progress. Many of the children that were struggling in these groups were children that didn't get much attention at home and families that were not really interested in their childs' education. I want to be that person that gets students excited about learning. I learned so much and I am so excited to be a teacher.

While I was there I met my carreer twin. There is a male teacher there that is currently doing everything that I have pictured doing in my future classroom. He has implemented Spanish and helps his hispanic students feel more welcome. He uses Theater to help students really get into the books that they are reading. I think that he has an even balance of student centered and teacher centered teaching in his classroom. The students really look up to him and have fun learning in his class.

I feel that teaching is one of the most worthwhile things that I can do with my life. It is awesome to see students grasp a new concept and gain confidence in themselves. I can't wait until I can actually get into a real classroom.

I have just finished my first year of school and if all goes as planned I won't be able to start teaching until the fall... of 2012 dun, dun, dun!!! It is a long way off but I am super excited.

2 comments:

adam said...

Bob, I am right there with you. I starting my last semester as a junior in January. I start the seminary pre-service program in January.

I agree with you 100% about teaching and attention. I taught in the private sector for 2 years and there has to be a balance.

It was a couple of teachers that really helped me be who I am today, and I can't think of any better way to give back than to teach.

Natalie Kay said...

It's fun having you around the school. You will make an EXCELLENT teacher some day!!!